Wednesday, February 15, 2012

ANZAC Biscuits

Hi all! Welcome to my first post on my new cooking blog. This is my way of keeping a collection of recipes that I have tried out while sharing little tidbits I've learned along the way. Now I must start off by saying that I am more of a baker then a cook, but hopefully with practice I'll get better.

For my first post I thought I would do a cookie that I made for some Australians that I was hosting at work. I didn't know what a traditional cookie would be so I turned to my friend and native Australian Sandra. She told me I needed to make ANZAC cookies. It stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. They have an interesting history that goes back to WWI.

The first batch I made turned out really flat. Then I remembered reading somewhere that with the addition of  cornstarch, it would help prevent spreading. The second batch came out much better. I pretty much followed the recipe on this blog. Below is a picture of how mine turned out.

Ingredients:
•1 cup oats (regular, not quick)
•1 cup shredded coconut
•1 cup sugar
•1 cup all-pupose flour
•1 tsp corn starch (this prevents too much spread)
•1/2 cup butter
•2 Tbs golden syrup (I used Lyle’s found at Shopper’s. Giant also has some. Both had it in the Syrup aisle)
•1 tsp baking soda
•2 tsp boiling water

Directions:

Measure and mix the dry ingredients.

Meanwhile, melt the butter and golden syrup.  I do this in the microwave to save time and dishes.

Add the baking soda and the boiling (use the microwave) water. The mix will froth a little. Stir the mixture until it is lighter in color and combined.

Combine the wet and dry ingredients. The batter will be slightly crumbly.

Place 1 rounded teaspoon of the mix onto a lined baking tray and flatten slightly (I used a small scoop for the dough). Don’t place them too close together as the biscuits will spread during cooking.

Then bake at 300° F (non-stick cookie sheet) for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Yes, there is no egg in this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you can enjoy some of these recipes in your own kitchen.